Monday, July 7, 2008

First Poems

For Leatha Kendrick's Revision as Regeneration class this week, she has asked us to bring in the poem that first made us want to be a poet.

I'm not sure I can pinpoint one poem that made me want to be a poet. Perhaps the nearest thing I can do is reflect on the poems that I've stashed away as part of my earliest remembrances of "getting" poetry, or rather having it "get" me; these poems were among the first to take hold, steering me into the language of other poets and poems (and eventually the desire to be a poet):

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I had a great epiphany upon reading "The Red Wheelbarrow." This event took place in Freshman English, when I had not had any exposure to W. C. Williams or any other modernists. I don't think our high school English classes got out of the 19th century.