Monday, July 14, 2008

Notes from the Garden in July

While I was outside grilling salmon (my first attempt at cooking fish at home--which turned out pretty well, by the way), I was delighted by the first hummingbird I've seen this season. The last couple years the hummingbirds have tended to show up at the end of summer, stopping by briefly to drill nectar from the last flowering wells before heading further south. Yesterday's bird darted around the crocosmia and hosta then darted away just as quickly. This morning I set out the nectar feeder with hopes of enticing the visitor to return and stay a while.

On another note, I'm once again being defeated by the Japanese beetles. Every year I battle them. Every year they win. They are especially vicious to our Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. I pick them off and drown them every evening, and last week I even broke down and sprayed the tree with insecticide. Still the beetles persist, eating away until only filigree vestiges of leaves remain. I know the Walking Stick looks best in winter--when it's naked and can show off its gnarled shape--but that doesn't mean it needs to be bare the whole year. My neighbor has resorted to trying the traps, even though there are reports that traps only draw more beetles to the area. Thus far, the beetles seem no worse, nor no better, than previous years. So I go on, my only satisfaction watching the little devils come to their end in a bucket of water.

2 comments:

Abbie Groves said...

Oh, I hate those nasty beetles! I had them horribly in WI on my roses! I thought that I had noticed some improvement when I went out in the morning to pick them off since they like the sun so much and are just getting started for the day. But you are right, spraying seems to do nothing. So far, I haven't seen them in CO, but you never know.

Andrea said...

We probably had them in WI but I never noticed; I guess we didn't have any plants they especially loved.

Every year I forget how much they stink...literally, they smell like death.