Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Diner, Lists, and a Prompt

We went to the Market Street Diner last night. The food was too rich...too much cheese and cream. But then I have to remind myself I don't keep going back for the dinners. I go there for the pies and shakes. I love walking in to face the glass case filled with the day's selection of pies, cakes, and cookies. I love the order slip the server sets down on our table that lists the pies in the case.

And then I realize I love lists. I'm not the only one. Lists abound in our culture. To-do lists, top ten lists, grocery lists, bulleted lists, numbered lists. And if there's one thing I've learned from my experience as a technical writer, the corporate world loves lists too. They are effective because they are concise and easy to read. Who hasn't scanned a manual or e-mail for the list that so neatly sums up what has been dragged out for pages?

Poetry loves lists too, as evidenced by the list, or catalog, poem. I'm still looking for a great list poem to share. If you have one in mind, let me know! Perhaps that's what this week's prompt should be. Write a list poem--an inventory of things, people, places, ideas, whatever is on your mind.

For now, I'll end with a list of my favorite pies (in no particular order, and honestly I haven't met a pie I wouldn't eat):
  • French Silk
  • Rhubarb
  • Oreo
  • Peanut Butter
  • Apple
  • Blueberry
  • Lemon Meringue
  • Peach
  • Derby
  • Raspberry

No comments: