Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Prompt

Let's be honest. I am not one of those writers. You know, the ones who write & write & write, ideas and fleshed-out themes bleeding from a vein that never runs dry (hmm...that pinkie wound must be at the forefront of my mind still).

I am the writer whose muse disappears frequently and without notice. For example, right now my muse is sleeping in, enjoying the cool morning sheets and pillows piled around her head like the woven flowers draped over winning horses.

As such, I rely heavily on prompts, that little shove on the backside to get my writing going. Here's a prompt I'm giving myself:

Write a thank you to things you don't usually thank: a skillet, a lightbulb, a bedsheet.

from Writing Alone and With Others by Pat Schneider

If anyone out there tries this, consider posting your experience in the comments...did the prompt work for you? Did it take you in an unexpected direction? Did it make your muse think twice about sleeping in?

No comments: