Tuesday, June 10, 2008

In the Garden

The backyard is heavy with the scent of magnolia blossoms. Briefly I feel drunk, swimming in the sweet smell and humid air.

The catalpa is flowering. This is the first year it has flowered. Small, white, trumpet-shaped, with some purple and yellow markings.

I snapped some pictures throughout the yard. O, I have many I want to post. It will be a while, though, as our main computer (which has the photo software) is temporarily unavailable. Sadly, the fan died Sunday.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Where did you get your catalpa tree?

Andrea said...

The bulk of our landscaping (especially the trees and larger shrubs) was picked out and planted by Daniel Oxnard, a carefree soul who loves plants and really loves native plants. That catalpa was a two-pronged stick when he put in the ground. I was a bit skeptical, but it has turned out to be a showcase of the yard, by far the fastest growing tree. The next time I get in touch with Daniel (that carefree nature of his means he doesn't believe in modern communication modes), I'll ask where he got the catalpa.